[haiku-development] Re: Haiku font rendering is not as good as Linux

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:59:56 +0200

On 2009-08-27 at 09:48:43 [+0200], Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2009-08-26 at 22:24:25 [+0200], Michael Lotz <mmlr@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > I have plenty of issues with Linux, but font rendering is not currently
> > > one of them. On my laptop using the Subpixel Smoothing setting works
> > > very nice.
> > >
> > > Unfortunately Haiku's font rendering, even with Subpixel rendering and
> > > font hinting turned on, does not look as good. See this:
> >
> > [...]
> > From your screenshots, the Haiku one definitely looks better to me as
> > well.
>
> Same here. For reference, you don't seem to have sub-pixel rendering turned
> on in Haiku. I've attached a screenshot of how that looks. On the right
> half, you can see your original screen shot, on the left, I have opened the
> Bootscript on my system.
>
> I've also opened Magnify, which shows that the original Freetype sub-pixel
> filter blurs edges of perfectly aligned stems. That is, the sub-pixel
> filter reduces color fringes at the expense of making the entire rendering
> more blurry, even at places where there was perfect contrast. The Haiku
> sub-pixel filter works differently, it does not introduce extra pixels
> outside the hinted glyph shape (which I take credit for... :-D).
>
> But completely ignoring magnified pixels, the Ubuntu rendering does look
> both more blurry and somehow "colored" to me, and thus means more strain to
> my eyes.
>
> In any case, since this is a touchy subject for everyone, I am all for
> offering more options. However, since the font rendering is perfect for me,
> this is very far down on my TODO list. ;-)

In your screenshot, on white background, the default looks even bearable,
but in menus it really isn't. With certain characters (e.g. "A" and "w")
having way more weight, things look really crappy. The window titles, having
gained extra boldness, look horrible (like the hole in the "e" almost
disappearing).

I'm certainly not a "font gourmet", but the status quo is simply not
acceptable. Definitely not for an operating system claiming to have sane
defaults.

CU, Ingo