[haiku-development] Re: Haiku font rendering is not as good as Linux

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 21:24:25

> I have plenty of issues with Linux, but font rendering is not
> currently one of them. On my laptop using the Subpixel Smoothing
> setting works very nice.
>
> Unfortunately Haiku's font rendering, even with Subpixel rendering
> and
> font hinting turned on, does not look as good. See this:

Unfortunately this is a topic where it comes down to personal
preference. I for example absolutely hate subpixel font rendering, it
looks blurry to me. I can hardly work on Macs becaue their font
rendering looks so blurry to me that I get a headache from looking at
it for longer times. Under Windows I generally disable font
antialiasing completely, under Haiku I use grayscale antialiasing. From
your screenshots, the Haiku one definitely looks better to me as well.

So IMO adding new modes is fine, but we shouldn't remove/change the
others, because I am sure that there are people that think the current
ones are better for them. Ideally we have a few to select from, so the
user can decide what looks best to him. I'm sure that someone coming
from Windows who is used to Cleartype would favor the current subpixel
rendering while someone coming from Mac OS X would rather want
something "thicker", probably more in the direction you want to go.

Regards
Michael