[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Userland on Non-Haiku Kernel

  • From: Ithamar Adema <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 13:14:32 +0100

Hi Ingo!

On Thu, Feb 19, 2015 at 12:20 PM, Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
wrote:

> FWIW, if the plan is to port a fairly recent Haiku, I'd probably rather
> start from the scratch with recent Haiku (a late pre package management
> version to save some complexity).

I agree with most of your post, the only thing I wonder about is, why use
pre-PM? From what I've seen, to get the basic libbe.so, app_server,
input_server, and an app running, it should not impact much. My main reason
for not going pre-PM is that although 1-year-old code is better then
10-year-old code, targeting something that far behind "master" will cause
plenty of pain when trying to do something more recent.

Am I overlooking any PM implications? (I have to admit I'm not really
up-to-speed on the code implications with PM).

Ithamar.