[haiku-development] Re: [offlist] Re: Haiku Userland on Non-Haiku Kernel

  • From: Ithamar Adema <ithamar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 10:59:49 +0100

Hi,

Just to give a sign of life and a bit of background on the cosmoe
repository:

*master* is the cosmoe-8d35 code drop
*cosmoe-0.7.2* is the cosmoe-0.7.2 code drop

It looks like the 0.7.2 code drop is much more functional, at least it is
able to render a proper UI and such. This is what I got working on last
BeGeistert. Please note, it has only seen working on Linux-32-bit (with SDL
as output IIRC).
The (Cosmoe) code is really messy, and lots of things to fix in there,
besides indeed the Haiku code being _very_ old. I've started merging a
cleaned up version of the Cosmoe code into a recent Haiku source tree, but
this presents a lot of other challenges, so nothing visible yet.
The main problem with recent Haiku code is that there is a lot more
private sys calls being used, well, generally a lot more BeOS API usage
then there was back then. Lots of more "conversion" code to write to get
this even to buildable state.

As usual RL and payed work is keeping me from moving fast on this :(

In all honesty, I still think that starting a recent brach and reusing the
Jam build system, maybe even hooking into the *_build target somehow, might
be the best way to go.... Our "little" project (Haiku) has become to
complex to really sensibly duplicate the whole build system IMHO... Not to
mention the maintenance nightmare of keeping that up to date...

Ithamar.