[haiku-development] Re: Haiku R1/alpha decisions

  • From: richard jasmin <jasminr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2008 16:36:43 -0400

you really want to ask that?
because you know that those getting alpha, releasable or not need to have a bootable os.though grub WILL do this, you refrain from it for obvious reasons.its better to work all or as much kinks out as you can, for all you know there are speed issues with some parts of the code.i would say that is a main concern other than internal bug fixes.obviously once we are up, we can tweak networking and such to our content.we can pull drivers from Ubuntu or the Linux kernel if need be to incorporate them in.virtual hardware is not the same and does not perform the same as real hardware.interrupts are not the same and there is a lot of soft interrupts that occur with emulation.shutting down is an issue.you have no shut down feature.this was incorporated with 98 or better or Linux for some time now.i have not had to hard power down a system for years.what about power management work? cant do that without hardware that has it, IE even a 486 box to test.
im no expert, but i find that you are far away from alpha.

you are close.you got the core of beR5 up and open sourced it.its a good step.i would envy that OS on my ibook right now, kde has issues and gnome is incredibly slow.one step at a time.

theres a lot more work to do.seems the tracker is running like explorer does in that it is THE running OS and if for some reason it crashes your system goes to shit.there is a lot more stability to be tweaked.i would imagine that is your first goal, get it as stable and complete as possible, then branch off with newer apps.problem is the sources like for o-office you have to bend someone's arm to get.i have the link somewhere, their page doesn't work right.even a basic scribus or abiword would be beneficial at this point.i agree, the seven different media players and such gets old on ANY Linux distro. stick with vlc and mplayer, they seem to cover the spectrum pretty well.terminal is covered, but lets get some basic apps in there for basic tasks to make the OS a bit more usable by ANYONE.even pico at this point would be beneficial.[audacious replaces xmms gui in case you didn't already know....]

just my two cents.

Axel Dörfler wrote:
Hi there,

since we're at least slowly approaching our desired goals for R1/alpha, I just want to start the discussion on how our distribution should look like, and what expectations the alpha version should fulfill. Are there any features left one definitely wants to see in the alpha release that are not yet tracked as part of http://dev.haiku-os.org/roadmap?

For the distribution (it's also an alpha with respect to that IMO), I think we should have a fairly basic set of things we ship. Just enough to fulfill the basic needs our target audience (mostly developers, I guess) will have in common. This probably includes most of the optional packages we have made available so far, and might also include a few things not yet part of those, too. In any case, don't forget that we'll need to maintain, and get bug reports for software that are part of the distribution, too :-) The aim of this thread should be to compile a complete list of things we want to have in the first alpha release, be it feature or software.

Please try to be short and concise, as I guess some items could cause some more discussions. If we encounter any harder decisions, we should separate those in a separate thread.

Bye,
   Axel.