[haiku-development] Re: Haiku Kernel Architecture Questions

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 08:26:13 +0100

On 2008-10-28 at 19:28:03 [+0100], John Rash <johnrash@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I can't seem to find any in-depth documentation on the Haiku kernel,
> other than that it was forked from NewOS and that it is very BeOS
> like. I am interested in how the kernel differs from the BeOS kernel
> and other kernels in general. I know that the network stack in
> integrated in the kernel, but do the other servers still run in user
> space?

Yep. Compared with BeOS (R5) we only moved networking into the kernel,
since performancewise that didn't work out so well in userland. Be Inc.
already realized that and their beta-phase BONE network stack lived in the
kernel, too.

> I have read that the BeOS kernel was not a real microkernel in
> the sense that some drivers ran in the kernel, is this the same with
> the Haiku kernel?

Yes, most drivers run in kernelland. The difference to a monolithic kernel
is only that the drivers aren't built into the kernel itself, but are
modules which are loaded dynamically.

> How does the Haiku kernel perform compared to BeOS
> or a monolithic kernel like Linux or the BSD kernels?

At least architecturally there's nothing that would prevent Haiku's kernel
from competing with monolithic kernels, though it likely needs several more
rounds of optimizations to actually do so.

> If any of you guys could point me in the direction of some
> documentation that answers these questions it would be much
> appreciated.

Not sure if any exists ATM.

CU, Ingo