[haiku-development] Re: GSOC project suggestion

  • From: Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 08:21:20 -0700

On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Yu Ziyu <yuziyumail@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procfs,
>
> The following operating environments support procfs:
>
>    * Solaris
>    * BSD
>    * Linux (which extends it to non-process-related data)
>    * IBM AIX (which bases its implementation on Linux to improve
> compatibility)
>    * QNX
>    * Plan 9 from Bell Labs (where it originated)

Don't forget OS X which has it via FUSE:
http://osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter11/procfs/

I've run into several tools that prefer it over other methods for
obtaining various info about the machine's environment and running
processes. These tools often have a fallback mechanism which is less
elegant and often make assumptions.

I don't necessarily see this as "Unix" but rather as a powerful way of
getting process/configuration info about the system.

Anyhow, that's my input - I wouldn't care if it was/wasn't implemented
personally - but I don't see how it "harms" the usability of Haiku by
giving it another tool that other unix-like OSes already have.

- Urias