[haiku-development] Filtered PoseViews

  • From: Philippe Saint-Pierre <stpere@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 15:05:34 -0400

Hello,

In several tickets, I can see that there are concerns (is the word too
strong?) about the usability of filtered views, mostly in situations
where you don't find a pose that you expected to see and forgot your
current view was being filtered.

A solution proposed was to display a different background color in
such views.  Another solution I'm proposing (maybe I should actually
do a mockup..  I'll try my best to describe it clearly) is to 'ghost'
the pose that are filtered.  The ghosting effect would mostly be
outlining the icon, and making it completely transparent otherwise.
As for the widgets they would be almost totally blended with the
background color.

For the placement, the still 'opaque' icons would be listed first, a
bit like folders can be listed first in PoseViews.

The outlining could (I guess...) be obtained by enlarging the icon by
2 pixels, making all non transparent area black (or dark grey) and
then 'erasing' the original icon at the center or the new icon.

Comments welcome.

Philippe