[haiku-development] Re: Segmentation fault building jam on FreeBSD 9.0

  • From: Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:54:16 -0400

Sorry for replying to myself yet again, but...

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 1:16 PM, Joseph Prostko <joe.prostko@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I suspect the problem only occurs with this older GCC4
> version found on FreeBSD, and the problem may well go away in the
> future.

I did some digging, and there seems to be a regression with strict
aliasing in GCC 4.2, which was later fixed in GCC 4.3.  FreeBSD is
still using GCC 4.2.1 out of the box, as that was the last GPLv2
version of GCC available.  In other words, this bug will persist on
FreeBSD, and won't be going away anytime soon unless we suggest that
people install a newer GCC which is available via something like
"pkg_add -r gcc47".  I think just not using strict aliasing is the
sane solution, however.

- joe