[haiku-development] Re: FatELF on Haiku?

  • From: Patrick Kelly <kameo76890@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 17:23:15 -0500

On Nov 7, 2009, at 7:00, Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

2009/11/7 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Furthermore, we plan to work on a package manager which would make this
feature pretty much superfluous, anyway (well, of course it would be
kinda neat to be able to boot one Haiku installation on different
architectures, but beyond that, it's quite a waste for such little
use).

I think one of its points of it are to be able to have one
installation-cd, usb-key instead of having one for x86 and one for
x64, and also being able to generate such without downloading a new
distribution. He also claims the overhead isn't linear regarding
architecture as sections get reused.

It has some good points, and I don't think it would be bad to support
it (if someone wanted to do it), but creating and using those fat
binaries, from distributor/builder pov, would probably be the big
problem and too much work.

It might be better to just include both sets as normal, in one image, much as solaris does. The bootloader can load a script which would then start up the rest of the appropriate system.

I'm more for seperate images.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH