[haiku-development] Re: FatELF on Haiku?

  • From: Fredrik Holmqvist <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Nov 2009 13:00:40 +0100

2009/11/7 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Furthermore, we plan to work on a package manager which would make this
> feature pretty much superfluous, anyway (well, of course it would be
> kinda neat to be able to boot one Haiku installation on different
> architectures, but beyond that, it's quite a waste for such little
> use).

I think one of its points of it are to be able to have one
installation-cd, usb-key instead of having one for x86 and one for
x64, and also being able to generate such without downloading a new
distribution. He also claims the overhead isn't linear regarding
architecture as sections get reused.

It has some good points, and I don't think it would be bad to support
it (if someone wanted to do it), but creating and using those fat
binaries, from distributor/builder pov, would probably be the big
problem and too much work.

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH