[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 08:10:21 +0200 (CEST)

Axel Dörfler wrote:
> Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I didn't yet think about a new name for nbd; maybe "remote_disk"
> > > would do.
> > How about the obvious: "network_block_device"?
>
> Now that's a bit redundant, don't you think? But if you want to keep
> remote_disk for the boot loader's protocol only, then I certainly won't
> mind, either.

I really think we should keep the short name NBD for the Network Block Device
protocol. It's distinct like FTP and NFS.

BTW, If someone wants to help getting PXE boot from network implemented,
your help is greatly appreciated.

The current state is this:
Kernel is loaded via PXE and executed, but it doesn't mount any boot partition.
For this, the kernel would need to bring up networking and TCP and load a
NBD or remote_disk device.

it currently stops at get_boot_partitions if
(args->boot_disk.booted_from_network)
inside src/system/kernel/fs/vfs_boot.cpp

http://svn.berlios.de/viewcvs/haiku/haiku/trunk/src/system/kernel/fs/vfs_boot.cpp?rev=19780&view=markup

regards
Marcus

Viel oder wenig? Schnell oder langsam? Unbegrenzt surfen + telefonieren
ohne Zeit- und Volumenbegrenzung? DAS TOP ANGEBOT JETZT bei Arcor: günstig
und schnell mit DSL - das All-Inclusive-Paket für clevere Doppel-Sparer,
nur  39,85 ?  inkl. DSL- und ISDN-Grundgebühr!
http://www.arcor.de/rd/emf-dsl-2