[haiku-development] Re: EFI (was: multi-selection semantics)

  • From: Oliver Tappe <zooey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 Jun 2007 13:23:50 +0200

On 2007-06-09 at 10:54:28 [+0200], Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Oliver Tappe wrote:
>
> > Hm, wouldn't the bootloader have to *include* the networking stack and the
> > drivers? Maybe I'm wrong, but there would be no way to access the modules,
> No it doesn't have to, the pxehaiku-loader has networking support (UDP)
>
> > since they are living on the other side of the network link, right?
> > AFAIK, PXE offers downloading an initramfs (cpio-fs), too, so we could stuff
> > the needed stuff in there and then the bootloader could tell the kernel that
> > there is such a beast.
> Yes we could download something with tftp. right now the remote_disk protocol
> is used to acess a bfs partition.
>
> > The kernel would then of course have to unpack/mount the initramfs and
> > invoke
> > a specific program, which in this case (NBD-boot) would set up networking,
> > mount /boot and then would let the kernel continue the booting process.
> >
> > Marcus: When I tested it last time, I think I noticed that your PXE
> > bootloader does not use any initramfs yet, is that correct?
> >
> > Is there any reason not to use an initramfs?
>
> The current PXE boot process is like this (I hope I get this right)
>
> PXE-BIOS loads pxehaiku from tftpserver
> pxehaiku load pxehaiku-loader
> pxehaiku-loader (zbeos) uses PXE-BIOS-UNDI services to load required files
> (kernel) using remote_disk

OK, thanks for the info!
As far as I understand the PXE setup, it would be possible to fetch the kernel
(and potentially the initramfs) via TFTP, thus decoupling the PXE-bootloader
from the remote_disk server, right?
After all, as I see it, 'remote_disk' is just one of several services that may
or may not be needed by a certain booting scenario. So I would find it
worthwile to keep haiku-loader as simple as possible and put the complexity
into the initramfs.

cheers,
        Oliver