[haiku-development] Re: Driver Development

  • From: "Ithamar R. Adema" <ithamar.adema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 19:35:21 +0000

Hi Alex,

Alexander Baldeck wrote:
just to jump on the train I have a question I'd like to raise. I now and then stumble across people that develop drivers for Haiku/*Beos but don't seem to merge stuff to trunk very often. Even if I'm mistaken, is there a list of drives that are currently in development or maintained/unmaintained outside of trunk?
There's not really a list, but posting to this list will work quite well in most cases, as you see ;)
Specifically, I'm asking because I am about to get my hands dirty on a usb-audio driver. The one in src/add-ons/kernel/drivers/audio seems to be very outdated and not working at all. :)
See the mail from Alexandre, someone at least started looking into it, but not sure if he's still working on it. However, you should be aware that this requires isoc. xfers in the USB stack, which currently is only working for UHCI (USB 1.1) controllers. I've started work to implement this for EHCI (USB 2.0) as well, though it will take some time before that can be declared working and stable.

However, if you use USB 1.1 devices, and have UHCI controllers onboard (often included in USB 2.0 supporting mobo's) you should be ok!

I'll commit my EHCI work as soon as I've got something close to working so you can test ;)

HTH,

Ithamar.