[haiku-development] Re: Do optional packages need to include everything they do?

  • From: André Braga <meianoite@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 10:15:55 -0300

Em 31/08/2009, às 08:48, scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx> escreveu:
> Using DiskUsage before and after zipping
> up that test folder and you'll see the savings, 45meg vs. 60meg.

It's quite possible that 7-zip will yield bigger gains. I actually
suggest that we push 7z as the format for packages. With solid
compression and the right combination of filters, we could see
enormous gains, saving on server space and on everyone's bandwidth.
Also, recent 7-zip implementations support multithreaded compression
or the LZMA2 format, so how nice a fit is that for Haiku ;)

Besides, 7-zip can decompress zip files, so the transition could be
made smoothly.

Cheers,
A.

Cheers,