[haiku-development] Re: Do optional packages need to include everything they do?

  • From: Nick <tonestone57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 06:40:20 -0600

> Judging by DiskUsage trimming down Perl and Python look like they'd be
> the main ones to go after in terms of file sizes, I haven't
> investigated stripping python down yet (other than the test folder).
> I did strip git down, it was over 60meg zipped, and stripped down the
> zip is under 7meg now.
> -scottmc

Hi Scott,

You can actually strip debug info without using strip.  You should use
LDFLAGS="-s" on your configure line.  This strips down both binaries
and libraries ( and object files ).

example.
./configure ........ LDFLAGS="-s"

The LDFLAGS are passed onto the linker.  You can try this to see
what debug flags there are.

ld --help | grep debug -i

In some cases, configure will also have a way to turn off debug.  Check
with:
./configure --help | grep debug -i

and pass the right switch to turn debug off ( should not be necessary
if you use LDFLAGS="-s" but does not hurt to add it ).

You should only build debug versions if you intend to fix the C or C++
code to work on Haiku and for testing or crashing issues.  Debug info
should never be added to final releases as it adds lots to the size.

Regards, Nickos

Click less, chat more: Messenger on MSN.ca
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid?77404