[haiku-development] Re: Disabling Strict Aliasing for GCC4 Builds

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2008 19:04:12 +0200

Hi Rene

> Unfortunately, I now can't: someone seems to have broken the build of
> system/kernel/fs/vfs_net_boot.cpp by removing one of its headers, and
> I'm not sure as to how to fix it (specifically socket_interface.h)
> was
> removed.

;-)

Anyway you could just update to a "save" revision. I guess r25045 broke
it, so "svn update -r25044" should do the trick for now.

Good news from my side though: I've just run a 1:45 (hours:minutes)
session of a natively installed GCC4 built Haiku. I've used "-fno-
strict-aliasing" and "-fno-tree-vrp" to build this. Had it running
perfectly stable for this whole time now on a 3.0Ghz P4 with
HyperThreading (so SMP was enabled and Haiku detected and used both
logical CPUs). I also w-got some stuff, for example the cross-compiler
which I was able to unzip without problems. I've kept it running for a
while with GLTeapot and Charts sucking up all of the CPU power (for
about three quarter of an hour), then also played around with various
apps (while the CPU was hogged). So if the GCC4 builds do not work for
others I have to assume those are driver issues/bugs. I have a nVidia
GeForce 4400MX in that machine and a RTL8169 on board LAN, which both
worked well.

I will commit the "-fno-tree-vrp" flag now and would be happy to get
further reports. As this points to driver problems, please take notes
of the stack crawls and see where they end up if you get crashes. This
would then help finding out which drivers might cause those
instabilities so that we can fix them.

Regards
Michael