[haiku-development] Re: Disabling Strict Aliasing for GCC4 Builds

  • From: "Michael Lotz" <mmlr@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 23:03:33 +0200

Hi

> Well, in general it's good coding to follow strict aliasing. In
> conjunction
> with the restrict keyword, this can result in a) more stable code,
> and b)
> faster code, because the compiler doesn't have to worry about
> potential
> aliasing.
>
> http://www.cellperformance.com/mike_acton/2006/05/demystifying_the_restrict_keyw.html

Yes absolutely, that's actually how I got into that topic. There's no
doubt that we should take advantage of this kind of language feature.

> How about this: is there any reason why we SHOULD allow potential
> aliasing?

No there obviously is not (well in some cases there might though). The
point is that if you do a GCC4 build there are literally thousends of
those warnings and that it is not feasible to review and fix them all
in a quick patch. That's why I propose to temprarily disable the strict
aliasing optimizations for GCC4 builds until we have the time to
analyze the warnings and translate them into fixes.

Regards
Michael