[haiku-development] Re: Demo CD (was Re: Re: BButton colors?)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:23:56 +0100 CET

Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I absolutely second this feeling. Are there any known TODOs with
> regards to
> our iso9660 filesystem implementation? Is it using the file cache?
> Can the
> read-ahead add-on be applied by default? Can it be made more
> agressive when
> it "detects" the read-only device (talking in user terms, but I hope
> you
> know what I mean)?

The launch_speedup module should still work, but it needs a dry run to
collect its data. But I'm not sure it will work that good without an I/
O scheduler on a CD, since it will just prefetch files without knowing
their order on disk.
Also, there are lots of other things we can do to improve disk speed
(like letting the page fault handler read more than a single page,
etc.). It just doesn't matter a lot on HDs, so I didn't do any work on
that area yet.

Bye,
   Axel.