[haiku-development] Coordinating ports (#2) (was: Re: Distributed Version Control Tools)

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 20:15:13 +0200

Hello,

Am 21.04.2008 um 16:34 schrieb Niels Reedijk:

I have been working,
together with James Woodcock, on a port of git to Haiku. I have
published the sources and binaries (the latter hosted by Haikuware,
thanks!) I also published an article on my weblog.

Just FYI, to prevent any other unnecessary work duplication.

Better than just announcing finished ports, the real way of avoiding duplicated work would be to announce the beginnings of a port.

That was the whole point that this list pointed me to the BePorts project. I have since then updated large parts of the site, logging pretty much everything I have done so far and publishing my patches in its SVN. Other than that I'm only aware of Ingo's ports in Haiku's SVN, of Ryan's WebKit port and the OpenJDK port.

Only recently did I learn that Duane had been porting Python and just now that Niels has ported git, too.

We really need a way to coordinate such efforts!

a) When someone starts a port, please announce it, so that a Wiki page on BePorts can be set up, linking to external pages or tracking progress/patches there. This could be on the BePorts mailing list or on the OpenBeOS mailing list (since usually it's not directly related to Haiku development).
//www.freelists.org/list/openbeos
//www.freelists.org/list/beports
Or simply drop me or Brecht or Scott a line.

Of course there's no obligation to finish any port started; it allows others to help you or pick up where you got stuck. It also facilitates merging necessary changes upstream.

b) How should somewhat-working ports be annouced for users to test?
I decided not to bother this list, so I announced git on IRC; I for one do not seem to have permission to post blog entries on haiku- os.org. Again, BePorts list would be good to cc but few people would be reading it, I figure.

Best regards,

Andreas