[haiku-development] Re: Coding guidelines

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 17:23:15 +0100 CET

"Salvatore Benedetto" <emitrax@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> For example, does all devs agree that private member _must_ start
> with
> an underscore? Because it is not stated in the guidelines, but it
> looks to me
> that some code does and some does not follow this guideline.

That should be put into our coding style, indeed.

> Another example not very clear to me is
>               virtual void SomeFunction(SomeType *);
> while for what I have seen many classes uses tabs between virtual,
> void, and SomeFunction. Which one is it?
>
> What about public and private keywords? In the documentation looks
> like
> they have to be indented , but they are not in many places.
>
> Same story for both virtual and static keywords.

The coding style is pretty clear about all of that - it's just that not
everyone agrees with the style here and follows something different.
And that's why those file look all different.
If the majority would like to change the current coding style in this
respect, we should discuss this, and find The One Style for us again :-
)

> I know there are bigger problems than this, but as the projects gets
> bigger and bigger,
> I think it's better if we all agree on the same guidelines and stick
> with it.
>
> I really hope not to offend anyone, nor to start any flame.

Don't worry, we have to deal with this anyway some day, so why not
start another try now :-)

Bye,
   Axel.