[haiku-development] Re: Coding guidelines

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 15:47:18 +0200

On 2010-05-08 at 14:22:00 [+0200], Simon Taylor <simontaylor1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Hike Danakian wrote:
> > This is a bit hacky... but how about an image?
> >
> > -- Hike Danakian
> >

> I think the important thing is copying and pasting from the coding
> guidelines page should give compliant code.
>
> As HTML doesn't let the width of tabs be altered, the only two options
> are: Reformat tabs as spaces - code looks correct but is not following
> the guidelines. Keep the status quo - code is correct, but tab spacing
> cannot be set the guideline-specified value.
>
> I think option 2 is the best choice (ie keep things as they are). A note
> should probably be added to the page though to say the code is suitable
> for copying and pasting, but due to a CSS limitation it is not possible
> to have it display the correct tab widths in the browser.

I don't quite understand the benefit of copying and pasting the code
examples on the coding guide-lines page. I am probably missing something.
The main purpose of the examples is to make the reader go "ah, this is how
it is supposed to look". At the moment, this fails somewhat.

Best regards,
-Stephan