[haiku-development] Re: Bylaws

  • From: Karl vom Dorff <karlvd@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2010 00:01:45 -0400

'AFAIK, this is not an official list for Haiku, Inc. communication - that
is, in part, why we setup a separate haiku-inc list - and also to reduce
needless, non-development discussions on this list.'

Hi Urias,

If I may comment once more, it's very unclear what Haiku Inc. does, and IMHO
this should all be addressed with Bylaws available on Haiku Inc's website.
It's the first I've heard there's a mailing list for Haiku Inc.

Also, thanks to Niels' comments, I've learned some of Haiku's function:

'Don't stress out. Haiku Inc. is not responsible for the project. Haiku Inc.
does not own the project, it does not operate the project nor the
mailing lists.* Luckily this also means that Haiku Inc. does not have any
influence on the project, other than decisions they can make
regarding their funding choices.'

So if Haiku Inc. isn't responsible for Haiku the operating system, who is,
and how are things administered?

Consider the NetBSD Foundation (a not-for-profit corporation) and their
statement of purpose in the Bylaw:

'The Foundation shall devote itself to the traditional goals and Spirit of
the NetBSD Project and own the trademark of the word "NetBSD". The primary
goal of the Foundation is to promote the development of the NetBSD computer
operating system and related software. The Foundation should promote
development work that is:'

Haiku Inc. owns the Haiku trademark right? At Haiku Inc's website it says
the goal of this trademark is to protect the reputation and software
expected with the name Haiku.

So, I'm confused when I hear 'Haiku Inc. is not responsible for the
project'.