[haiku-development] Re: Booting from USB

  • From: Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 20:48:06 -0700

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 08:16:57PM -0700, Urias McCullough wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 8:07 PM, Pete Goodeve <pete.goodeve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > I put r44242 on a stick last week, but this rev no longer boots on
> > my machine (as I also reported last week).  However, as I at least
> > saw the boot icons -- even if they didn't light up -- I took it over to
> > ZaReason to try.  On their machine it wasn't even seen by the BIOS
> > at all!
> >

> Actually, I've had similar problems with ZaReason machines (yes, I
> tested on them a few years back at LinuxWorld/OpenSourceWorld) - and
> you'll likely need to use the anyboot images on a USB stick.
>
> The Anyboot images have a "fake" partition table/MBR layout which
> fools most BIOS into believing they are a proper setup. They are also
> suitable for burning to a CD and booting as an "ISO" since they
> contain a fake "el torito" boot as well.
>
> So, in short: try one of those.

Heh.  It *is* reasonably possible that I used an alpha-3 AnyBoot image
initially for that (working) stick, and added the second partition afterward.
I'll give that a try.  [Bit scary though that one has to be so persnickety!]

Thanks.

[What did you think of ZaReason?  Aside from the problems to date --
which aren't their fault -- they look rather nice.  And are helpful folks.
As I really should have a good linux box, too, I'll probably go with
them in the end.]

        -- Pete --