[haiku-development] Re: Boot Screen Not Displayed with Various Video Chips

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2008 16:16:15 -0500

Gerald Zajac wrote:
Axel Dörfler wrote:
[...]
That would be a viable solution. But before we do this, I want to experiment with the CRTCInfoBlock structure that you can provide mode switches with to set a specific timing.
If that doesn't help, I'm open for more generic solutions.

I've added the CRTC stuff in r28390, please tell me if that works for you.

I'll test it as soon as I can down load a new hard disk image which contains this change.

Hi Axel,

I installed hard disk image r28411, and did some testing. For the S3 Trio, S3 Virge, and the ATI Rage128 and Mach64 chips the boot resoultion is now 1024x768x16; however, for the ATI chips this is true only if the screen resolution was not set to a higher resolution via the Screen Preferences while Haiku was running before the reboot. Whereas, for the S3 chips having the screen resolution set to 1280x1024 via Screen Preferences did not affect the boot screen resolution used for the these chips which was 1024x768x16.

Based on the results with the ATI chips, the boot screen resolution should not be increased because the screen resolution was previously set higher via the Screen Preferences. If there is a driver other than the VESA driver for a chip which allows the chip to be run at a higher resolution, it does not mean that the VESA modes used by the boot loader will also work at the higher resolution.

There was one other chip I tested which was a SIS 6326 where I had to use the boot menu to select a resolution of 800x600 before it would display the boot screen. 1024x768 would not do it. This chip might be as isolated example for which it is not worth making changes.

Regards,
Gerald