[haiku-development] Re: Binary compatibility going forward.

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:40:33 +0100 CET

Rick Hansen <in_rapture@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Anyway, to make a short story long, is there going to
> be a focus on making it so I can compile a program for
> Haiku and, assuming no ugly hacks/undocumented API
> calls , run it on Haiku 5-10 years later?

That is basically the plan, but we might need additional resources to
actually do so. It's planned to introduce more heavy API changes at R2,
but we plan to keep the old libraries around for compatibility. The
only extra work is in making sure that the old libraries will keep up
with the eventual changes made to the server protocols (for example,
the communication with the app_server will change in the future).
Those legacy libraries will be completely optional, though, so that you
can create a stripped down legacy free system if wished.

Bye,
   Axel.