[haiku-development] Binary compatibility going forward.

  • From: Rick Hansen <in_rapture@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2009 04:36:04 -0800 (PST)

I initially posted this on the forum but it doesn't
look like it gets much attention, so I thought I would
try here... =) ... Thanks...

I was just wondering what priority the Haiku project
plans to place on binary compatibility over time. I
know initially it is pretty high since the major goal
is binary compat. with BeOS R5 but what about moving
on from there?

I have been using Linux for hobby development over the
past 10 years or so, and am at the point where I just
can't take it any more. Linux is such a moving target,
binary distribution of anything is a nightmare.
Different distributions, library versions rapidly
changing, the occasional ABI changes, it's exhausting.
Any complaints about not being able to run old
binaries on a Linux box are always met with comments
about downloading and compiling old library
requirements, or a lecture on the evils of closed
source/binary distribution. And the less said about
the hostility and problems for closed source/binary
Linux driver developers the better. I love developing
ON Linux, but hate developing FOR Linux.

Not that I am a Windows fan, but I can take a very
large number of apps compiled for Windows95 and run
them on Windows Vista with little to no issue. I find
that extremely important for a desktop OS. If getting
a program to work on a user focused desktop system
ever MENTIONS source code, something is wrong imo.

So, I am looking for a new hobby OS home.. =). I have
compiled and started playing with Haiku and am very
impressed (never did use BeOS). Just wondering if you
guys share one of my higher priorities for a desktop
OS.

Anyway, to make a short story long, is there going to
be a focus on making it so I can compile a program for
Haiku and, assuming no ugly hacks/undocumented API
calls , run it on Haiku 5-10 years later?

Regards,
Rick Hansen