[haiku-development] Re: BeOS development environment

  • From: "Joseph Liu" <froseph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 01:13:09 -0800

On Sat, Mar 1, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Urias McCullough <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/03/2008, Nathan Widmyer <lighthousej@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I've been lurking for a few weeks while I've been trying to setup a
>  > development environment to help out with the code where I can.
>  > The best option for me is to setup BeOS Max v4 within VMware.
>  >
>  >  However, I'm running into problems where it seems like I'm not running
>  > VMware video or mouse drivers.
>  > First, after a few minutes, the mouse sticks to the top-left corner, then
>  > the keyboard stops responding.
>  >  I saw the release notes have had vmware drivers for a while but I can't
>  > find them.
>
>  BeOS Max V4 comes with the VMware network and video drivers already -
>  the only thing you'll need is the vmw_mouse driver from bebits:
>
>  http://bebits.com/app/4296 (instructions to install are included)
>
>  VMWare Server 1.0.x causes this problem for me - but it doesn't happen
>  when I use VMWare Player 2.0.2. I think it's because VMWare Server
>  uses a funny protocol layer to interact with the VM and it isn't
>  nearly as responsive IMO.
>
>  Anyhow, I just got BeOS Max V4b1 working in VMWare Player 2.0.2
>  (windows) last night and it's running beautifully!

IIRC I got BeOS running in VMware Sever 1 under linux, but I have
since moved on to using a dedicated box for it. VMware Server is
_much_ older than VMware Player 2. If you must use VMware Server-
probably for snapshots- try VMware Server 2 which is currently in
beta. I think debugging symbols are on so it'll probably be slower
than VMware Server 1 and since it's in beta YMMV. Nothing prevents you
from moving virtual machines between VMware products so it may be best
to try running your virtual machine on VMware Player 2 and if that
works then move to VMware Server 2 if/when you need it.