[haiku-development] BFS and write back problems

  • From: dolgov <dolgov@xxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 11:37:21 +0300

Actually I had intention to submit separate bug for BeZilla/Mozilla, related to pending writes.

But it was about BeOS, not Haiku.

Problem is that I never lost my Mozilla profile data (passwords, bookmarks, cookies etc) so frequently with any other OS besides BeOS.

As result of bad crash/hangout of BeZilla (and thus, sometimes, OS itself). In other OS-es losses are restricted with last changes in data mostly, but when it crashes in/with BeOS, quite frequently all data is gone.

I read Axel's article at Haiku-OS/Haiku-News about bfs some month(s) ago and i think I got the reason, but do not see clean solution for that yet.

Regards, Sergey "fyysik" Dolgov
Currently, Haiku writes back 32 KB of file data every three seconds, *if* there is no memory pressure (in case of pressure it writes much faster). This means that if you write a 500 MB file, but have plenty of memory left, Haiku will use about 3 hours 20
minutes to write all the contents of the file to disk.