[haiku-development] Re: App server hangs at boot

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 11:43:43 -0400

Gerald Zajac wrote:
ajsoinin@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi,

I installed Haiku from Linux on its own partition following Fredrik Ekdahl's instructions on Haiku web site. Unfortunantely, the boot process ends in gdb. The attached serial log shows that the crash happens in app server while it tries to paint the desktop.

The computer is IBM Thinkpad T-22:
http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Category:T22
with 900MHz CPU, 512MB RAM, TFT with 1400x1050 resolution and brand new 40 GB HD.
The size of the display detected by the Savage accelerant is incorrect. The size shown in the syslog is 1408 x 1050; whereas, the actual size is 1400 x 1050. I do not know whether this will cause the app server to crash, but the Savage accelerant is setup to only allow a video mode with a resolution which matches the size of the attached LCD display on a notebook computer. Since 1408 x 1050 will not match any of the entries in the accelerant's table of video modes, no video mode can be initialized, and no video mode was initialized according to the log.

I have been able to replicate this problem with a video card that has the same video chip as the Thinkpad T-22. Since my video card returns a valid display size, I had to patch the accelerant to use an invalid display width. After doing that, the same results were obtained with the final lines in the syslog an almost exact duplicate of those in Antti Soininen's syslog. Since I will be away for the next 3 days, I should have a fix for this problem early next week.

With regard to the display size of an LCD display in a laptop computer, I have a question as to whether the video driver/accelerant should restrict the video mode to a size which matches the size of the LCD display in the laptop, or should we allow all modes where the width & height are less than or equal to the width & height of the LCD display.

Gerald Zajac