[haiku-development] Re: AlphaStatus - was Re: Busted!

  • From: scott mc <scottmc2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 09:35:55 -0700

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:04 AM, Rob Judd <haiqu@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Michael Lotz wrote:
>
>> But then, as everyone keeps pointing out, I'm not a nice person. ;-)
>>>

>> I just don't get why you are acting like this in the first place. Wouldn't
>> it
>> be easier to just be constructive instead of being a PITA? I mean if you
>> really are so much of a better developer than anyone else, so much that
>> no-one
>> could teach you anything, then you certainly don't need us to fix all
>> remaining issues in Haiku. If not, then why don't you accept the fact that
>> others may know something better than you (maybe because they wrote the
>> code
>> in the first place or because they are simply using Haiku for a much
>> longer
>> time). In this case a little respect would go a long way.
>>

> It's a wake-up call, Michael. I'm here to say that it's time to get Haiku
> ready for the road.
>
> In the past two days I've done 25 complete clean builds, just to supply
> exactly what you (and others) have asked: concrete proof. The bug reports
> are in.
>
> Here are my findings:
>
> 1. At r30790 a change to Path.cpp and Path.h stops a CD from being
> installed. Fails at the 6th (rocketship) icon.
> 2. At r30830 changes to Statable.cpp caused BeIDE to crash on entry. Fixed
> by bonefish at r30851 right after it was reported.
> 3. At r30830 Free Pascal Compiler throws Unhandled Access Violation
> exceptions.
> 4. At r30851 the CD install is again broken due to another fault.
>
> I'm using a patched version (to fix the first error) and stuck at r30825
>  until these issues are resolved. But the conclusion is that the build
> (meaning complete cycle of build/install/test) has been broken for 8 days
> unless you have the time and inclination - and believe me, I won't have the
> latter much longer - to fix it. In fact it would be easier to branch the
> code and finish the OS myself than mess around further with what's being
> produced.
>
> The sensible thing to do now would be:
>
> 1. Stop all new code additions to the repository, as of today.
> 2. Have a bug-fix drive for the next 7-14 days, cleaning up all remaining
> vital issues, as many minor issues as possible, and 99% of the (several
> thousand) compiler warnings. I use -Werror as a base standard.
> 3. Mark the end of phase 2 as a stable version and announce it.
> 4. Begin development again, only adding code that has been used and tested
> for at least 7 days on local machines running normal day-to-day tasks.
>
> Then we might all get some work done.
>
> Rob

Looking at the AlphaStatus page, the CD has been marking as completed #50,
so this seems to be a regression.  If a new trac ticket has already been
opened for this regression then perhaps it should be moved to the Alpha
Milestone?
Here's that tracking page in case anyone wasn't aware of it:
http://dev.haiku-os.org/wiki/R1/AlphaStatus
I've just attached a patch to ticket 3489 (
http://dev.haiku-os.org/ticket/3489) to adress items #29 and #31.  I'll
update flex and jam to move their licenses to common/data/licenses and
attach a second patch to that ticket later today.
-scottmc