[haiku-development] Re: OptionalPackeges in Trac

  • From: Matt Madia <mattmadia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 15:33:01 +0000

On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 7:03 PM, Marcus Jacob <rossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> since the optional packages are kind of part of the "official" Haiku,
> wouldn't it make sense to have a specific top-level category to report
> issues with the packages, as far as they are related to the package itself,
> installation and compatibility? I.e. everything except bugs in the software
> itself?

Which aspect of OptionalPackages are being discussed?
* For the software itself being provided by a specific optional package:

it'll be better to submit a bug report at the relevant place. Going on
a limb here, but i'd even put Haiku-centric bug trackers as the ideal
place and not the official repository for the ported software.   eg,
ports.haiku-files.org or osdrawer.net and not mozilla.org or
subversion's issue tracker, etc.

* For issues with the OptionalPackage itself -- eg,
.OptionalPackageDescription,  build/jam/Optional*
 These types of issues could probably be reported at our bug tracker
with the build system as the component.

My reasoning for this is that many people contribute OptionalPackages.
Not all of those people have svn commit access and thus cannot be a
component owner.
So, I'm not sure who should be the default owner for an
OptionalPackages component.

--mmadia