[haiku-development] Re: ATI Video Driver

  • From: Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 13:11:40 -0400

Urias McCullough wrote:
2008/5/20 Gerald Zajac <zajacg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
Since the S3 video driver is finished, I am planning to develop a video
driver for the ATI chips that preceded the Radeon chips.  That is, the
driver will support the Rage128 and Mach64 chips.  Is anyone else working on
a driver to support either of these two groups of chips?

Great!

I have a few such cards including a Rage Mobility (don't remember
which model) and a few STB cards from old Dell Dimensions which are
Rage128 I believe.

Let me know if you need any testing. Depending on where you're
located, I can send one of the STB cards to you just for fun, as I
have quite a few IIRC.
Although I currently have some ATI video cards with about 10 different chips, I probably will need some other people to do some testing with chips that I do not have. It might not be necessary to send your cards to me unless we have a problem with some of them. Then it definitely would be more convenient for me to have the card for tracking down the problem. Thanks for the offer. BTW, I'm in the state of Connecticut in the USA.

Hopefully, this driver will not take as long as the S3 driver. I'm planning to do the Rage128 chips first, and then have people test it. After that, I will do the Mach64 chips which should have little or no effect upon the code for the Rage128 chips. It will be like two drivers merged into one driver. The S3 driver is like that in that the code for the three groups of chips are quite independent of each other.

Best regards,
Gerald