[haiku-appserver] Re: r14675 - in haiku/trunk: headers/private/servers/app src/servers/app

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku app_server" <haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 14:27:08 +0100 CET

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > The scaling stuff looks pretty broken to me.
> Yes, scaling should be broken. When I worked on app_server more, I
> just added
> TODOs regarding scaling all over the place. I think scaling should be
> added
> to the conversion of the local coordinates to parent/top layer
> coordinates.
> The original Painter implementation, which is still in
> src/tests/servers/app/painter folder, had a correct implementation of
> the
> scaling stuff, at least I tested all kinds of situation of drawing.
> One

Hm, I can't find any TODOs about scaling, actually - and I only removed
those in ServerWindow, as they are no longer true.
How exactly would you handle scaling, and why hasn't it been done yet,
if it's only a matter of taking it into account when dealing with the
coordinate conversion? ;-)

> important detail is that user clipping is scaled as well. To scale a
> BRegion,
> you need to watch out that it stays seamless. For that, you need to
> convert
> from "pixel indices" to "coordinates on pixel areas".

Yes, that makes sense :)

> Pen and font size should be handled correctly already, no? At least
> for
> drawing? (Never got arround testing it.)

At least I can confirm pen size - that's one of the few things the
ViewState application tests right now :-)

> What I didn't test is adding views to a scaled view. I wouldn't be
> surprised
> if the Be implementation is funny, as with scrolled views. Maybe we
> should
> maintain a list of stuff that we implement in such a way as not to
> break
> existing apps, which we change to be more logical when we break
> binary
> compatibility... :-)

I wonder why we have to keep the same amount of brokeness - I would
always try to go with the clean version, and only take action when that
breaks somewhere.

Bye,
   Axel.