[haiku-appserver] Re: investigating some bugs

  • From: "Stephan Assmus" <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 01:46:08 +0200 CEST

Hello Adi,

sorry if I made you feel like I'm putting pressure on you. It's just
that I got so excited about the possiblity of showing a running Haiku
with app_server at BeGeistert. Now, your explaination of the problem
makes much sense. Maybe I can even find a short term fix until you have
more time to fix it for real.

>       Now, I have tested you 'Window' application, but nothing happens
> with
> the app_server running on my machine... I moved, resized, clicked,
> closed those windows, yet app_server did not enter an endless loop.
> Maybe you can help by providing the exact steps on how to reproduce
> this
> bug.

It happened (while doing exactly the stuff you describe above) when I
used the UpdateQueue version of ViewHWInterface::Invalidate(). When I
added more debug output, the less often the bug happened, so in the end
I gave up last night. Maybe you can enable the alternative
implementation (which decouples frame buffer transfers from the drawing
in the back buffer), and the bug happens on your machine as well. But
as the nature of these kind of timing related problems goes, they
depend on a lot of factors. Do you test on a dual CPU machine btw?

Best regards,
-Stephan