[haiku-appserver] Re: investigating some bugs

  • From: Adi Oanca <adioanca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-appserver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:20:21 +0300

Hi Stephan,

Stephan Assmus wrote:
> Hello Adi,
>
> sorry if I made you feel like I'm putting pressure on you. It's just
> that I got so excited about the possiblity of showing a running Haiku
> with app_server at BeGeistert. Now, your explaination of the problem
> makes much sense. Maybe I can even find a short term fix until you have
> more time to fix it for real.

        :-)) I should borrow you my machine for BeGeistert, as those bugs
do not reproduce. :-))))

>>      Now, I have tested you 'Window' application, but nothing happens
>>with
>>the app_server running on my machine... I moved, resized, clicked,
>>closed those windows, yet app_server did not enter an endless loop.
>>Maybe you can help by providing the exact steps on how to reproduce
>>this
>>bug.
>
> It happened (while doing exactly the stuff you describe above) when I
> used the UpdateQueue version of ViewHWInterface::Invalidate().

        A little more info please as I understand nothing...

> When I
> added more debug output, the less often the bug happened,

        Hmm... the update code might be the cause...

> so in the end
> I gave up last night. Maybe you can enable the alternative
> implementation (which decouples frame buffer transfers from the drawing
> in the back buffer),

        Huh?

> and the bug happens on your machine as well. But
> as the nature of these kind of timing related problems goes, they
> depend on a lot of factors. Do you test on a dual CPU machine btw?

        Nope. Not as I know of. I have a P4 2.6GHz HT machine and I doubt
R5.0.3 PE sees 2 CPUs. Don't know, I'll have a look tonight.