[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: (no subject) should have been -> How to use PAE

  • From: Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2014 20:25:41 +0200

On 07/20/2014 06:29 PM, Earl Pottinger (Redacted sender earl_colby_pottinger@xxxxxxxxx for DMARC) wrote:

Drats, dash darn it!

So my lovely I7 machine can now run multiple applications in RAM even while
each application
need 2GB each but I can not modify my device driver to access the extra memory
and give the
driver 16 GB of paged memory to work with.

No, the address space is always restricted, even in PAE. If you want to make the extra memory available, you need to allocate memory without paging it into the address space. If your code is not designed for it, it would be a lot of work to change this.

This means once I am sure the code is debugged, I need to write it to work in
64 bit Haiku I guess.

That would be the easiest solution by far :-)

Bye,
   Axel.