[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: Word Processor | Was: [HaikuPorts-dev] Abiwordport

  • From: Matthias Lindner <two4god@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 09:01:24 +0200

I think that it would be best to future proof the project so that it
doesn't hinder the possibility of it being transformed into a full office
suite like Gobe Productive was.

We should even think more "global"
eg. a systeme wide spellchecker, grammar checker or later even a stylistic
analysis[1] ( (maybe even used buy BTextView)

A general BOfficeDocument as a Basis for Spreadsheet, Presentation, Word ...

A general BOfficeLayout System wich can layout all "Objects"(rectangle or
splines and so on) like text, images. With the support for reference line
set from user but also calculated from the other objects in the Layout
System like the apple iPages one.

A genreal BPagedView - where all draw Operations are mapped to a PagedView
( as configured eg. A4 landscape or A4 portrait and so on)

I have previously created a mock up of what I thought an updated version of
Abiword could look like on Haiku [1], although the GUIs of most up to date
word processors have become more simple than the style used by Abiword.

Again i would add two things there: one "ToolBar" like on gobe
http://mobile.osnews.com/img/1520/gobe1.png where you can see and edit the
Objectsdata right in the toolbar, like the size, if you select images

A dream would be also some "Expander" on the left ruler to "collapse" and
expand sections of your text (e.g. between two headlines)
And also a "Navigator" on the left is one of my dream UI elements (also
take from Papyrus) where you have a Outlined List of the headlines, used to
navigate easy in your document [2].

Whilst studying at university, I switched from using MS Word to Google
Docs when MS implemented the ribbon UI. I found the ribbon UI to be too
complicated and that it got in the way of writing, while I was surprised by
how functional Docs could be.

What document formats should supported for inport/export? Plus what format
should be used as the native format?

I would like to use a XML Format but not like the ODT where you split the
whole doucment in different sections... but maybe it is the best to use a
mature format. But personally, i never understood why you have to seperate
the styles from the document itself and so on.

Also algorithm in the Programm so that textruns are not so split up - would
be verry helpfull to keep the xml file human readable.. So you can at least
read or maybe edit the raw xml file.

Also a dream would be save on edit (like to append the changes.. maybe also
with some kind of autmated version control)

And of course the real time ability of GoBe Productive (moving a picture
around show instantly the changes to the document)

Just my two cents... and my dreams. :-D

[1] https://www.papyrus.de/
[2] http://www.papyrus-author.com/images/Autor_Beispielbild_gross.png