[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Word Processor | Was: [HaikuPorts-dev] Abiwordport

  • From: Richie Nyhus-Smith <richienyhus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 15:28:04 +1200

Hi,

the plan was -from what i know - to opensource only these part of gobe
Productive wich are not problematic wiht there license .. but it would take
to much manpower and money (from what i know) to remove the piceses because
they are really mixed toghether.

From what everyone has said, it sounds like this the final nail in the
coffin for any hope that Gobe Productive could brought back from the dead.

Maybe whe should move this discussion to 3rd party ;-) and start
collecting ideas / concepts and what stuff is already implemented / what we
need to implement and where are 3rd party libs (best would be MIT License)
are available.

I think that it would be best to future proof the project so that it
doesn't hinder the possibility of it being transformed into a full office
suite like Gobe Productive was.

I have previously created a mock up of what I thought an updated version of
Abiword could look like on Haiku [1], although the GUIs of most up to date
word processors have become more simple than the style used by Abiword.

Whilst studying at university, I switched from using MS Word to Google
Docs when MS implemented the ribbon UI. I found the ribbon UI to be too
complicated and that it got in the way of writing, while I was surprised by
how functional Docs could be.

What document formats should supported for inport/export? Plus what format
should be used as the native format?

Regards,
Richard.

[1]