[haiku-3rdparty-dev] Re: How does a driver detect shut-downs

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <ingo_weinhold@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-3rdparty-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 21:23:29 +0200

On 31.07.2014 20:59, Axel Dörfler wrote:
Am 31/07/2014 14:36, schrieb Stephan Aßmus:
Am 31.07.2014 13:51, schrieb Axel Dörfler:
shutdown -q does not call the UserShutdownScript either. That is
doesn't do
anything/wait for anything is the whole point of using it in the first
place :-)
But that sounds like the driver should not be invoked to do anything in
that case either. So nothing to worry about, right?

That depends: I would certainly want Haiku to park my hard drives even
in that case, for example.
Or do enough that makes the system reboot in case I used -rq.

Indeed. And IIRC we also sync FSs.

BTW, using the private team notification service API one can at least detect when the shutdown command is started. However, that doesn't help much, since one cannot synchronize the operations one needs to perform with the shutdown process.

This really requires a driver interface extension. We also need one for suspend to RAM/disk support which is somewhat related, I guess.

CU, Ingo