[hackpgh-discuss] Re: New FCC Rules May Prevent Installing OpenWRT on WiFi Routers

  • From: Chad Elish <chad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2015 11:34:34 -0400

Adam,

Would you be willing to do a talk either pre or post BattleMesh?

Cheers!
-Chad

On Jul 28, 2015, at 9:50 PM, Adam Longwill <adam.longwill@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think that is a gross oversimplification, but I will be at the BattleMesh
talk this year which will have a discussion on this subject. Pretty excited
to go to Slovenia!

On Jul 28, 2015 9:48 PM, "John Lewis" <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/27/new-fcc-rules-may-prevent-installing-openwrt-on-wifi-routers/#ixzz3hEkRpVTn

<http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/27/new-fcc-rules-may-prevent-installing-openwrt-on-wifi-routers/#ixzz3hEkRpVTn>
Bad news for your routerphiles out there that just bought a On Networks N300
Wireless Router N300R, for it may be the last router you will be able to
reflash with your favorite *WRT distribution.

The FCC wants to take away your router modification rights for your safety,
because they think their regulation is too hard for you hackers to follow. It
is defiantly not because companies lobbied for it so they can make more money
by selling you routers full of badware and anti-features. If you don't
believe the FCC is trying to make you safe by taking away your ability do
modify your property, you are probably some kind of conspiracy theorist that
thinks they can send files over the radio.