[hackpgh-discuss] Re: New FCC Rules May Prevent Installing OpenWRT on WiFi Routers

  • From: Adam Longwill <adam.longwill@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2015 21:50:50 -0400

I think that is a gross oversimplification, but I will be at the BattleMesh
talk this year which will have a discussion on this subject. Pretty excited
to go to Slovenia!
On Jul 28, 2015 9:48 PM, "John Lewis" <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

http://www.cnx-software.com/2015/07/27/new-fcc-rules-may-prevent-installing-openwrt-on-wifi-routers/#ixzz3hEkRpVTn

Bad news for your routerphiles out there that just bought a On Networks
N300 Wireless Router N300R, for it may be the last router you will be able
to reflash with your favorite *WRT distribution.

The FCC wants to take away your router modification rights for your
safety, because they think their regulation is too hard for you hackers to
follow. It is defiantly not because companies lobbied for it so they can
make more money by selling you routers full of badware and anti-features.
If you don't believe the FCC is trying to make you safe by taking away your
ability do modify your property, you are probably some kind of conspiracy
theorist that thinks they can send files over the radio.