[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Laser etching metal?

  • From: Simon Heath <icefoxen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2016 08:41:23 -0400

Yeah I can't find anything on how to etch non-anodized aluminum. I've heard if you paint aluminum black and then laser-etch it the laser will leave behind a mark even after you take the paint off, but I can't find any sources. Might be a worthy experiment.

I've also heard that if you try to etch un-anodized aluminum the metal is essentially as reflective as a mirror to the laser, so the beam can bounce back through the laser cutter and damage the optics/laser tube. So.

Simon

On 11/03/2016 07:46 PM, Jesse L wrote:

I haven't tried it yet but it's my understanding that it will burn off paints and finishes on metal but not the metal itself