[hackpgh-discuss] Re: How does the router register names?

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 18:31:42 -0400

How long does it take for the old lease to expire?

It has been nearly a week since the reservation was setup and they still
have their old address. Trying to use dhclient to release the ip address
doesn't do any good because it just gets the old one back. Reboots have
no effect either.

On 06/30/2015 06:39 PM, John Lewis wrote:

Yes.

I will try again, this time by filing a motion at the members meeting
tomorrow. I can probably get the proposal through since I have
something working already, even though it is a hack.

On 06/30/2015 09:23 AM, Anthony Cascone wrote:
And I assume that he's asked everyone, and nobody responded?

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 9:19 AM James Keener <jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

He doesn't have access to the router in order to assign a static
lease.

On 06/30/2015 09:16 AM, Anthony Cascone wrote:
> I was following this thread, but stopped for a bit after
reading the
> 9th. I found it vivid and unnecessary.
>
> Being only causally interested in this topic, I haven't been paying
> close attention, but what was the reason for not using static
leases?

> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 9:52 PM John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
> <mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>>> wrote:
>
> I implemented the iproute2 method of multiple interfaces.
>
> On 06/27/2015 11:03 PM, John Lewis wrote:
> > Sounds like a plan.
> >
> > I can also make the 1 Ethernet interface have 2 ip
addresses and make
> > the second one be dhcp.
> >
> > https://wiki.debian.org/NetworkConfiguration
Section:"Multiple IP
> > addresses on One Interface"
> >
> > On 06/27/2015 10:48 PM, James Keener wrote:
> >> Avahi only works if the program you're using is aware of it.
> >>
> >> Just try using DHCP and see if the router picks up the
hostname.
> There
> >> are times it doesn't work and I'm not sure why or how to
predict
> them,
> >> but when it does work it works well.
> >>
> >> If that works then you can bug someone to get you a
static lease.

> >> Jim

networking
> work on