[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Do we have anyway of getting out a stripped screw on a laptop

  • From: Steven Owens <stevenjowens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:59:51 -0400

I don't know if this exists for laptop sized screws, but for larger
screws I've used an "easy-out", aka a screw extractor (easy-out is a
trade name), like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001A4CWHO?ie=UTF8&tag=vicastingcom-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001A4CWHO

An easy out is basically a reverse-threaded screw, you drill into the
screw from above, screw the easy-out into the hole, then keep turning
because the easy-out's screw-in direction is the screw's screw-out
direction.

Usefully enough, when I googled on this, the first hit was:

http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2010/02/the-12-best-ways-to-remove-stripped-screws/

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM, Joachim Hall <jjoachimhall@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You can also use a dermal to cut a slot in the head and turn it into a flat
head. I've done this many many times.

On Jul 15, 2015 11:28 AM, "Dan Stahlke" <dan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

You've already tried pliers, right? From the look of it, there is a
possibility you might be able to get it out with a flathead screwdriver of
appropriate size. The other thing would be to dremel it off, but then you
risk getting metal flakes in your computer. Maybe cover the whole thing
with tape, then hit it with the dremel. Of course, this leaves the screw
stem, so you won't be able to put a new screw in there. If you are careful
enough with dremel, you can reshape the screw, maybe take the sides off to
make it look like a minus sign so that you can grab it with the pliers.

On 07/15/2015 03:55 AM, John Lewis wrote:

I stripped the screw on the Brodcom network card when I was trying to
replace it with an Intel one. I need it out.

--
Steven J. Owens
stevenjowens@xxxxxxxxx