[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Data recovery

  • From: John Lewis <oflameo2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2015 17:42:35 -0500

I have had limited success with foremost. The problem you are going to
have is with you media files. They tend to be large, fragmented and less
likely to have their format pre-configured. I did a data recovery
freelance job for someone similar.

You can also try testdisk to recover the filesystem if there is enough
metadata on the disk to rebuild it. If you can get the filesystem
working again, you are home free.  I am unsure if you can get it back if
disk utility didn't work  on it.

I recommend copying the image and running testdisk
http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk on that to get the file system
back. You can follow up with foremost if it doesn't work and you may be
able to recover some of the emails, but it is very time consuming if you
try to recover media files. You will spend weeks trying to piece
together the files when you could be setting up samba server and a
rsnapshot server so that the problem doesn't arrive again.

Also consider backing up your corporate emails so you don't end up like
Hillary Clinton.