[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Data recovery

  • From: Jake S <jskiba99@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 17:07:37 -0500

I'm not sure if there's anything local or not. If you need to send it out for
service I'd recommend http://www.myharddrivedied.com/    That guy has given
some cool talks online in the past and I think he was a SANS instructor at one
point, and was also recommended by a current SANS forensics instructor.

From: justin@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [hackpgh-discuss] Data recovery
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2015 16:36:15 -0500

One of our employees where I work has an old MacBook Pro. The hard drive is in
its death throes; it no longer boots properly, and Disk Utility can't fix it.
Wouldn't you know it, there are no backups, his email client was set up to use
POP3, and he needs those emails in order to do his work.

I'm not particularly knowledgeable when it comes to data recovery, so I'd
rather take it to someone who does. Can any of you recommend anybody in the
Oakland/Shadyside area?

--
Justin Smith
GNU/Linux System Administrator

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not;
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of
educated derelicts."

-Calvin Coolidge