[hackpgh-discuss] Re: Bearings and axle for mirror galvos

  • From: "j. eric townsend" <jet@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackpgh-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 12:27:39 -0500

AB Charles or J&C, but I've never actually looked for bearings there.

On 1/6/11 12:11, Jeff Kramer wrote:
Any RC shop worth its salt would have these in stock.

I'm not sure where to find one though.

Jeff

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 6, 2011, at 11:26 AM, Matt Stultz <matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
<mailto:matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

A common source for cheap bearings is skate bearings for either
rollerblades or skateboards. You can often find these on the cheap at
walmart or sporting goods stores. I hope that might help.

Thanks,
Matt

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Ed Paradis
<<mailto:legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx>legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx
<mailto:legomaniac@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    I'm working up a parts list of stuff I need to build some galvos this
    weekend, and it looks like I need some bearings and axles for the
    galvos themselves.

    Does anyone have some in their treasure pile? I need 2 bearings per
    galvo and one axle per galvo. I'm imagining a bearing with about 4mm
    ID and 8mm OD, and an axle with a matching OD to fit the bearing (ie:
    4mm).

    I had some, but they've seemed to have been lost in the move. I don't
    mind buying some, if anyone knows where to pick some up in town. I
    would suspect an RC hobby shop would have something.

    On the other hand, if someone has a good idea for alternatives, I'm
    all ears. I've thought about tearing up some cheapo hobby motors for
    their bearings (sleeve bearings would be fine). Otherwise I'm going
    to have to do some sort of Home Depot raid, which for stuff like this
    is usually fairly pointless.

    I think I'll also need some aluminum rod (OD about 10mm) for making
    the motor mounts on the lathe. Or I could use JB weld ;)

    You're asking "But Ed, what parts do you actually have?". I've got
    material to make the casing/supports, mirrors, magnets and wire
    suitable for coils.

    If I can't get the bearings and axles, I'll probably go with a
    temporary 'paper and glue' design I've been thinking about.

    Ed

--
J. Eric Townsend
design: www.allartburns.org; hacking: www.flatline.net;  HF: KG6ZVQ