hackfix-virusnews: Sobig worm stomps on PCs (interesting Articles.. Multiple links provided)

  • From: "Christy" <snowz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: hackfix-virusnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:24:54 -0500

Sobig worm stomps on PCs
By Matthew Broersma
January 13, 2003, 7:13 AM PT

Antivirus experts are warning of a new virus,
code-named W32/Sobig.A, which was discovered late
last week and spread rapidly over the weekend. By
Monday morning, Sobig was the second most prevalent
virus on the Internet, according to e-mail security
firm MessageLabs.

Sobig is a mass-mailing worm incorporating its own
SMTP engine, according to antivirus companies. It
arrives from the e-mail address "big@xxxxxxxx" and
bears a subject line such as "Re: here is that
sample", "Re: Movies", "Re: Document" or "Re:
Sample". The e-mail contains an attachment called
"Document003.pif", "Sample.pif", "Untitled1.pif" or
"Movie_0074.pif".

Read more here:
http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-980338.html
Copyright =A9 2002 CNET Networks, Inc.

Additional information:

Today's latest mass mailing worm

Sobig Virus Picks Up Steam
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,826560,00.a
sp
Copyright (c) 2001-2003: Ziff Davis Media Inc.

~*~*~*~*~
To unsubscribe from our list send an email
to hackfix-virusnews-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx?Subject=unsubscribe.

For a complete list of email commands for our list send
an email to ecartis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with a subject line of
"info hackfix-virusnews" without the quotes.
~*~*~*~*~