[guispeak] Re: communicating with someone on aol -- anyone else have this problem?

  • From: "Laura Eaves" <leaves1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <guispeak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2004 00:57:37 -0500

Hi Rick -- that is a real problem -- in fact I asked my friend to read off the menu bar and there wasn't anything in the way of tools or messages or options, like in outlook express.
In fact, there's practically nothing!
The user is really in a straight jacket on aol.
I think aol is meant (or at least advertised) to be a safe environment for people who don't know anything about the internet, and also want to be protected from spam and other objectionable material, for both them and their children...
But the resulting package is so limiting as to be ridiculous.
Also, they are hypocritical in that they send only attachments but have a truely insecure mechanism for receiving them.
I know because I got bitten by a virus saved to disk that was not displayed the way I expected by windows, and so I opened it, thinking it was a sound file, but in fact it unleashed a nasty virus that took a week to clean.
Now what does this have to do with aol?
On aol, the attachments are automatically saved to disk, so the user -- especially being inexperienced, probably doesn't know that the full name of the attached file is displayed by the mailer, but not by windows -- you know, windows is so incredibly insecure I'm finding.
At least OE lets you see everything so you know what you're doing, and you only save an attachment when you know it is safe-looking.
Anyway, I'm frustrated.
But now I know where the aol subscribers are coming from, and don't blame them for not knowing what I'm talking about.
The options are simply not there.
Anyway, take care and thanks for the note.
--le

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rick Roderick" <Richard@xxxxxxxxx>